Elder Mikel North

Elder Mikel North
South Africa Durban Mission June 2015-2017

Thursday, August 27, 2015

2 Months and Lots of Letters!

Wow, this week has been crazy busy and overwhelming with school starting and having to figure out how to balance that, soccer and living on my own all at the same time. It's been quite the adventure so far and honestly I'm exhausted, so I feel bad that this has been pushed to the bottom of my to-do list. Not that it really matters because I don't even know who reads this and I really just do it for myself haha :)

Well, we've made it two months! It feels like a long time looking back but in reality it's gone by really fast. It's helped that I've been so busy with all the things changing in my life. Mikel said something amazing in his mass letter home and I really want to share it because it's so relevant to me, people my age and everyone preparing to get to this point in life:
"Wow how crazy is life? To all my friends and the people my age back home, isnt this insane!? in two short months most of us have either gone on mission, or are about to leave on a mission. Have gone to college, or about to leave to college. That means most of us have or will be soon moving out of our parents house and be on our own. Crazy how fast time flies and how old we feel and how much it sucks to get old and lose your friends and say good bye. One thing I've come to notice though is I'm so happy! Life is tuff, but life is good! This critical time in our lives is to either go on mission, to go to school or to even go and start working is a pivotal point in our lives that will set up the rest of our lives! Sure saying good bye really sucks but the good far out weighs the bad. I have learned so much in these two short months of being on mission. I've learned a whole heck of a lot about who I really am, what I believe, what I stand for, what my goals in life are and so much more. I love being on a mission and just serving, Your calling is to SERVE and that's whats important, not if you baptize anyone or this or that but if you went out and served the people and loved them with all your might, mind, and strength! So all you going through these major changes in our lives.... of your friends leaving, look at change as a thing to help you grow. "the more things change, the more they stay the same." I know that God has a plan for all of us, Its not easy, and sometimes not even fun. I can promise you its worth it. That this time in our lives is for us to learn and grow far more than we could have ever done back in our little circle of living. Where ever you are, on mission, at school, at home or at work. Go and do. Go and do whatever you can and learn and laugh and grow!"
How is it that he always says exactly what I need to hear, even if it's not directed at me? Wow I love him.

Exploring the boarding for treasure



came up empty handed

He finally got all my letters!!!! :) I was so happy! 4 letters from me, a few from my little sisters, a bunch from his family and his greenie package with lots of notes and letters from friends and family. He seemed so happy to finally get it, two months without mail is a long time on a mission! Haha :)

Mine and my sister's letters and notes :)

all of his letters! The senior couple joked that he stole the whole mission's mail 

Elder Jena wanting to steal his mail haha

Greenie package! Hey I wrote that :)




He's the cutest. That's all.

Photobooth pictures have been our thing since we started dating, so I decided to send him one every month :)



Some of my letters and souvenirs and such 

It was the end of transfers so they got a new Elder, his name is Elder Razafindrakoto and he is from Madagascar. He speaks Malagasy and French but doesn't speak much English, but Mikel says he's way cool and funny. He gets to interact with some pretty cool and diverse people! 

Elder Ikube left also.  He was their Zone Leader but just got
transferred and is heading to Lesotho.  He had the chance to teach 
with him during exchanges and he said he is super powerful and he looks
up to him a lot.

Mikel and Elder Done. he played for Alta and goes home 
in two transfers, he looks up to him a lot, and says
he is way cool and a great missionary. 

He sounds so happy and like he is doing so well. I miss him so much but I'm so proud of what he is doing! It's hard right now because I'm experiencing so many new things and playing college soccer and I just wish he was here to see that, but I wouldn't want him to be anywhere else. He gave me access to his Dropbox account where he puts all of his pictures (I'm a picture freak, so I love this) and the other day I was looking through and I found a video!!! I could see him and hear his voice and I seriously almost cried. It's crazy how something little like hearing the sound of his voice can just bring in a flood of emotion but it did. I really needed that. 

I talked about in my last post how we were going to study something together, and it's amazing already! He is so in tune to the spirit because what we are reading is so relevant to my life right now it's insane. And I'm grateful for his insight and testimony because it's such a strength to me.

Around the boarding where he stays:










"oh my goodness Haiy your email actually made me cry I couldnt hold it back like I usually do haha! :) I love your email I can see how much you are enjoyuing things now compared to before when you were so scared and frazzled haha I love you and I love being able to read this email and remember your personality and how much I love you. It makes me so happy to hear how great your week was. You played!!!! wow freshman playing the full game, thats pretty insane, I just think about two years youll be the star of the team ;) well you are to me already haha. I love that you are loving playing and getting along with the team, its a nice change from a stressful club season to finally be with a team that you are bonding with. :) I love you so much its not even possible for me to declare haha.

Man sounds like an incredible week! Ive spent every night this week really holding your blanky tight, i think its all in my head but i swear i can still smell you in it haha. sounds so weird to say haha.

the thing that made me happiest is I got mail this week! and 4 letters from you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ah i loved them so much, you are by far hands down the best girlfriend in the entire world and no one can question it or ill beat them up! You made my letters seem wimpy though haha I need to write better ones to compete haha :) it was amazing to get mail I got close to twenty letters in all ranging from june to the end of july.

Some quote I liked this week are...

"We become more substantive as we serve others - indeed it is easier to find ourselves because there is so much more of us to find."

"A saint is a sinner who keeps on trying" if we dont try we are latter day sinners, if we dont persevere we are latter day quitters.

"When we put God first all other things fall into their proper place or drop out of our lives." 

"Being a latter day saint is a way of life, something 7 days a week."

"Who does Gods work will get Gods Pay"

"The great test of life is obedience to God
The great task of life is to learn the will of God and then do it
The great commandment of life is "thou shalt love the lord thy God with all thy hear, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength."

Romans 8:28 "All things shall work together for good to them that love God"

If you want a good read, start in 3 Nephi chapter 10 and continue through chapter 11

I love you so much and I love your emails!

Love,
Elder North"


Man I miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment